qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Sound problem with SDL, not OSS (on Solaris)

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Sound problem with SDL, not OSS (on Solaris)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 9:17:09 -0400

I have been hacking on QEMU to support Solaris hosts better,
and have a problem with the audio.  I have a Win98SE image
that I'm using for testing, as it's pretty lightweight.

The original configure script doesn't support OSS for
Solaris, so I've been dealing with the SDL audio.  When I
start  Win98 (or XP), I get a stuttering of the audio.
It's almost like it gets some portion of the audio, stops,
backs up a little, and continues. Eventually the audio
stops, but as it gets to the end of the sound portion
(like the startup in Win98), the audio may stop stuttering.
Doesn't seem to matter if I'm on a PIII-933, a P4-2.4Ghz
or an Athlon XP 2600.

Wasn't sure if it was an audio driver problem on Solaris,
or something else, so I added OSS support for Solaris,
and it works perfectly on one of my home machines (It
hard hangs on my laptop, but the finicky ALI M5451
OSS driver is probably to blame.  I have a native solaris
driver which doesn't work on my laptop, but it works on
several other laptops with the same chipset that other
people have)

Ideas?  I'm thinking maybe I need to recompile libsdl,
as I'm using a precompiled version from www.blastwave.org.
(It's a solaris package archive much like is available
for debian with apt-get).

Figured I'd bounce it off the list to see if someone
had seen a problem like this.

Thanks

Ben