qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] both kqemu and qvm86 fail to build against kernel 2.6.4

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] both kqemu and qvm86 fail to build against kernel 2.6.4
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:02:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, William barath wrote:

modprobe is a waste of time when no module exists to load. But thanks for the spirit of your reply. I followed the steps as laid out in the README, renamed the kqemu dir to 'kqemu' within 'qemu' so that ./configure could find it, ran it, it replied that it would build with support for kqemu, then I ran make as user and it died when it tried to PATCH THE KERNEL SOURCES because it ignores the P=`pwd` and proceeds to build in /usr/src/linux/mod... so I figured the documentation was wrong and built as root (shudder) and that worked... to rebuild all the kernel modules and not kqemu.

For what it is worth the build procedure worked just fine here on Fedora Core 2.6.10-1.771_FC2.. built everything as a normal user, not root. Only ran make install as root.

Note: The kernel sources path should normally be automatically detected as /lib/modules/<...>/build, not /usr/src/linux/, but specifying it at configure time also works.

Note: running "make install" on another kernel than you build the module for does not work. (kqemu make install is a little simpleminded and then copies it into the wrong directory)

This kernel has worked so nicely for me for so long, hate to replace it, hate to reboot! ;-)

You should not need to replace the kernel provided you have the correct headers and makefiles from the kernel still... In my case the module was built/linked against the Fedora binary kernel headers.

But I do not remember exacly when the current model of building modules outside of the kernel tree was added. Perhaps your kernel is simply too old for this to work reliably. If that is the case then you can try changing the Makefile to use the same sub-make line as for 2.4.

Regards
Henrik