qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 1) mouse and xinerama 2) ntvdm 3) win98se protection error

From: Kevin F. Quinn
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 1) mouse and xinerama 2) ntvdm 3) win98se protection error
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:25:59 +0200

Hi.

I've finally successfully installed Windows 2000 and SP4 from scratch with
kqemu under linux.  I applied the IDE patch recently mentioned and that got
around the disk-full problem.  This is on latest CVS.  I have an observation,
and a couple of problems hopefully someone can help me with.

1) I've been using qemu with a dual-head setup, with xinerama.  I had trouble
with the mouse, which behaved strangely on the second head.  Discovered it
worked ok on the primary head.  Traced mouse data back through qemu, then SDL
and worked out that for some reason the mouse position deltas aren't being
served up properly to SDL (and hence to qemu).  A rummage around yielded an
idea which did indeed sort the problem out.  Doing:

export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0

before running qemu did the trick.  It seems DGA mouse behaviour isn't entirely
sane yet with xinerama.  I don't think there's anything qemu can do; the data
coming through SDL was bizarre.

Moving on, I have a couple of problems, but I can't think of a neat way to
isolate and debug them.  If anyone has some tricks up their sleeves for this
kind of thing, it'd be much appreciated.

2) ntvdm crashes, no matter what app I try to launch with it (ntvdm is the
compatibility layer in NT for legacy apps).  The crash report on Windows 2000
(SP4) is as follows:

X#=0D, CS=00C7, IP=00003016
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an unhandled exception.  Choose 'Close' to
terminate the application.

Choosing 'ignore' each time leads to more errors, with IP=000000E9, 000021E3
and 00000646 before the applicaion is forcibly terminated by Windows.

3) Windows 98 SE installation isn't successful.  It gets all the way through
the setup to rebooting Windows proper (cloudburst Windows 98 background)
however it crashes with "Windows protection error.  You need to restart your
computer." before loading the desktop.  Stepping through Windows the
initialisation shows it happens after the VXDs etc. have loaded (last one to
load is psmouse.vxd).

Cheers,
Kev.