qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Re: request : qemu-smp as target

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Re: request : qemu-smp as target
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:46:21 +0200

SMP est definitely possible in QEMU - a few days of work are necessary to add the missing generic support and an x86 implementation... but currently I prefer to work an other topics.

Just for your information, some choices need to be made:

1) Do the CPUs share the same translation cache ?

This could be very useful, but wouldn't the cache need to be indexed by physical addresses, not virtual?

2) The first implementation would use a cycle counter to schedule between CPUs. Is it interesting to go further and to use a host thread for each guest CPU at the expense of more locking overhead ?

I'd skip the cycle counter at first iteration and schedule using a host timer and CPU idling. What are the things that need locking, by the way?