qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] booting linux 2.6 in qemu-system-ppc

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] booting linux 2.6 in qemu-system-ppc
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 14:13:04 +0200

On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 02:07 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> Just for the record: if I remove the VGA card from the qemu pci bus I
> can successfully boot a linux 2.6 kernel with serial console. Apparently
> there's something wrong with it.

I just checked: I don't have to remove the VGA device to be able to boot
2.6 kernel on serial port. Just have to give it the following arguments
to the kernel (and of course, use a kernel with the PC serial port
support compiled in):
console=ttyS0 console=tty0
Note that the Open-Firmware frame-buffer support is broken in many 2.6
kernels (I mean on real Macs) and that most distributions install CDROM
don't have support for PC serial ports. Then, to be able to have video
console with any 2.6 based distribution, I'm afraid we'll need to have
an ATI Radeon emulation.
You can also notice that we don't emulation Mac serial ports, in Qemu.

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized