qemu-devel

Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Dynamic bridging

From: Ben Taylor
Subject: Re: Re: [Qemu-devel] Dynamic bridging
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 9:55:56 -0400

Paul Brook <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 May 2005 01:52, Ben Taylor wrote:
> > I was trying to get the bridging working (with the help
> > of pbrook and nox- on the irc #qemu channel) and
> > eventually got it working under Sun JDS/3 (Suse 9.1)
> > after adding the bridge-util's rpm.
> >
> > After some experimentation, I found that once I setup
> > the bridge on my primary interface, (eth0) and I used
> > the qemu-ifup script, the tunnels would automatcially
> > attach to the bridge, and when qemu shuts down, they
> > automatically go away.
> >
> > primary-ifup
> > Code:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > /sbin/brctl addbr br0
> > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
> > /sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast \
> >   192.168.1.255 up
>
> This line should be changes to ifconfig br0 ...., and moved to the end of the
> script.

Darn. I think I transcribed it wrong when I cleansed
the addreses.  Thanks for the catch.

> You shouldn't give the component devices an IP address, just the br
> interface.
> Using the component interfaces directly is liable to lead to weird problems
> on the host.

Yes.  It was just a typo.

> Also, if youdon't want to use a static IP, you can just run dhclient
> (or equivalent) on the br0 interface as normal.
>
> My setup looks someting like:
>
> /sbin/brctl addbr br0
> /sbin/ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 up
> /sbin/brctl addif br0 eth0
> dhclient br0

Are the other brctl commands I had in there not required? I was just working
off the how-to in the qemu user forums as a template, so this was the first
time I've worked with bridging.

Again, thanks for all the help.  Now having a bridge interface doesn't seem so
bad since the tunnel can easily add itself and goes away automagically when
qemu is done.

Ben