qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support

From: Thomas Steffen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [patch] gcc4 host support
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:59:49 +0200

On 5/20/05, John Hogerhuis <address@hidden> wrote:

> But once you are past that point gcc for a given arch, gcc isn't
> really going to help you any more. So bring on the hand
> coding/optimizations.

And for popular combinations of architectures, such as x86 or PPC on
each other, I absolute agree. As in any other routine, you can
probably squeeze out a few cycles if you try hard enough.

> And that's because you can always make
> use of what gcc did if you can't think of anything better.

So the magic stays with us :-). You need some more complexity in the
build process, but I agree that it is a logical improvement.

Thomas