qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OS/2 PPC booting making some progress

From: J. Mayer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OS/2 PPC booting making some progress
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 13:57:31 +0200

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 11:25 +0300, Tero Kaarlela wrote:

[...]

> Hi,
>
>     I have made some modifications to PPC PREP booting to get OS/2
> bootloader working. Now I hopefully have made some progress (it isn't
> working yet but has gone forward on my opinion). So I have few questions
> at the moment:
>
>    1. on debug 1. Is the opcode really invalid or just unsupported one?

Yes. The endianness is wrong: if you reverse this opcode, you've got a
valid one.
There may have been a jump to a random place...

>    2. on debug 2. What is this unaffected IO port 838 it tries to read &
> write ?

This port is not documented in the PREP specification. You should check
in the Linux kernel to see if this port seems important. Or you may take
a look to Motorola PowerStack documentation: those boards are well
documented and OS/2 is supposed to know how to boot on it.

>    3. Might that unsupported ioport prevent booting?

Can be possible...
Have to check the code that uses that I/O port...

[...]

--
J. Mayer <address@hidden>
Never organized