qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu sandbox for teaching

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu sandbox for teaching
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:06:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 28 May 2005, Jerome Warnier wrote:

Advantages of every solution:
- UML is fast to run and pretty safe

If you give out root rights UML is only as safe as the account the UML kernel runs as.

Problems of every solution:
- qemu is slow, and a lot of virtual machines at the same time on the
same machine will slow it down and use too much memory, I think (I'm
talking about 10 people ?playing? at the same time). Using only a
text-mode virtual machine may probably help, though

Only text-mode helps a lot.

- chroot does not allow much and may take time to setup correctly

chroot and allowing root rights is a no-no. The root user within a chroot is still root.

- UML is difficult to setup, and needs a kernel patch (even on 2.6?) to
work

UML doesn't require a kernel patch but it performs significantly better if you do.

Similar for qemu with it's kqemu kernel module, but here only a custom module is required no patching of the main kernel.

I would go for qemu (with kqemu), tun/tap networking with proxy-arp or explicit routing and a java applet SSH (or perhaps telnet) client to connect.

Regards
Henrik