qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] gtk2 driver

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] gtk2 driver
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:21:07 -0400

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:10:43PM +0200, Lionel Ulmer wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 01:11:09PM -0400, Jim C. Brown wrote:
> > Fullscreen mode is still broken (the window will resize, but the image on
> > the
> > window will not). This will be tricky to fix as software scaling will be
> > necessary to get the image to be the right size/shape. Unlike SDL or OpenGL,
> > which could alter the video resolution of the X server. Perhaps the best
> > solution is to use an embedded GTK GLX widget to render the image. What do
> > you think Fabrice?
>
> Why not switch to SDL output when the user requests going 'full-screen' ? It
> would be a bit of a hack, but well, it could work :-)

It's a very easy hack to write, and it wouldnt be very difficult to get to work.

There is a gtksdl widget for gtk2 that I could use just for this purpose -
that way you could still have say a drop down menubar to use (for the GUI).
Or the gtk code could simply call upon the SDL driver when it goes into
fullscreen mode.

> Otherwise, just use plain X11 calls to change resolution (via XRandr or via
> Xvidmode). The problem being always to properly 'align' this window to be
> the only one on screen.

This is also doable, but it is less portable (e.g. it wouldnt work on Windows).

Either of these approaches mean moving away from pure GTK/GDK. Fabrice hasn't
explained why, but he has made it clear that he wants the Linux to use GTK.
Also, I'd prefer not to use X11 in the gtk driver in the hopes of keeping it
Windows compatible.