qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional between host and guest (including some suggestion)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:17:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Jan Marten Simons wrote:

Ok, I talked about this issue in irc lately, but as this list will have
a larger audience I'll post this here as well. So here is the (cleaned) log:

What I want:

<jamasi> some feature I'm really missing is: a v(S)FTP sever inside the
emulated network offering a local folder of the host for R/W-access.

Running a FTP server on the host with proper permissions is sufficient for this. There is plenty of FTP servers available for all platforms where qemu runs.

I don't quite get why everyone insists that qemu should have various network services built-in. There already is too much of that imho (TFTP and some SMB glue). The goal of qemu is to emulate the CPU and required hardware, not to provide full network server services.

wrt r/w access it should be pretty trivial to extend the tftp server to allow write access.

btw: The SMB server (Samba) provides read/write access if you insist on it. All you in theory need to do is to set up the password file on the host.

What would perhaps make sense in this discussion is to generalize the user-net port redirection used for the SMB access allowing it to be used in a more general manner, then perhaps even ripping out the smb (Samba) support glue and replacing it by a wrapper setting things up as suitable using the general slirp pipe support. So instead of having the smb support glue hardcoded within the qemu binary just have it start the suitable daemon wrapper when the port in question is accessed. Apart for allowing it to be used for other services than SMB it would also allow the SMB support to be tailored more closely to your needs.

Regards
Henrik