qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional

From: Henrik Nordstrom
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Looking for an easy way to exchange data bidirectional between host and guest (including some suggestion)
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 02:14:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 11 Jun 2005, Christian MICHON wrote:

I had a look at the code, and can't figure out where the original
tftp command like 'get' and 'put' are parsed inside the tftp.
Apparently, it's just a question of recognising the 'put' cmd,
then open/create a file on the host matching the tftp
arguments, and that'll be it.

The TFTP server is in slirp/tftp.c

The TFTP protocol is defined in RFC1350 / STD0033.

TFTP Write is essentially a mirror of read.

  client    server
  WRQ  ->   ACK/ERROR
  DATA ->   ACK/ERROR

Where TFPT Read looks like

  client    server
  RRQ  ->   DATA/ERROR
  ACK  ->   DATA/ERROR
  ACK (on final DATA segment)

1) move the compiled kernel to a vfat partition, shutdown
the qemu guest, use winimage to extract the kernel, launch
another qemu guest to test my latest kernel

2) lauch qemu within qemu. Slow square time :( no kqemu for
windows hosts yet

The 3rd possibility would be to use a tftp put back to the host,
and launch a second qemu guest in parallel.

Or

4) Set up user-net port redirection allowing you to FTP into the guest from your XP host.

5) As 4 but using tun/tap networking instead (no need to fiddle with port redirection, you have access to all of the guest networking)

6) Run a FTP daemon on your host, and FTP to this from your guest.

7) Email the kernel to yourself from within the guest.

8) Use ext2 tools for to extract the kernel from the guest filesysem.

And a number of other possibilities.

Regards
Henrik