qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] re: Nothing happens

From: Josef Moffett
Subject: [Qemu-devel] re: Nothing happens
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 18:29:05 +0400

I have already sent this, but just before I was confirmed on the list, so I don't think it went through. If it did, please forgive me for a double post - and if you can let me have a ref to any replies it may have received.

I have just joined the mail list after coming up with a problem similar to one I googled here and perhaps to which I can add a bit more information. Unfortunatly, I can only add a little more prescision to the problem rather than any answers, but perhaps Rudi Lippert can verify if this is happening to him too.

I have a problem after compiling qemu with SDL-devel and KQemu support.

The problem seems similar to what has been posted and replied to in the following messages

but I did find the following with the -monitor stdio; that when I did a screen dump qemu was running and dumping valid (linux, win 98 and winxp) screen images. I only had no access to these - in other words the emulator was working fine, both with and without kqemu, but there was no console or visual output with which to manipulate the emulated virtual machine. (ie no visual and no keyboard/mouse access to the (hidden) console.)
here is my configure output

using: qemu-0.7.0-i386.tar.gz
and : kqemu-0.6.2-1.tar.gz

downloaded on Sat 11/06/2005 around 22:oo

----------------
address@hidden:~/qemu-0.7.0> ./configure
Install prefix    /usr/local
BIOS directory    /usr/local/share/qemu
binary directory  /usr/local/bin
Manual directory  /usr/local/share/man
ELF interp prefix /usr/gnemul/qemu-%M
Source path       /home/joe/qemu-0.7.0
C compiler        gcc
make              make
host CPU          i386
host big endian   no
target list i386-user arm-user armeb-user sparc-user ppc-user i386-softmmu ppc-softmmu sparc-softmmu x86_64-softmmu
gprof enabled     no
static build      no
SDL support       yes
SDL static link   no
mingw32 support   no
Adlib support     no
FMOD support      no
kqemu support     yes

KQEMU Linux module configuration:
kernel sources    /lib/modules/2.6.8-24.16-default/build
kbuild type       2.6

I am running under Suse 9.2 and the precompiled binaries work right "out of the box" (even the network stuff which some people seem to be having trouble with) but are just a tad too slow for what I wanted to use qemu for so I wanted to try with kqemu built in.

I first just tried without the SDL-devel libs, but that was the same, and the above mentioned thread suggested that SDL may be a cause (although I suspect we may be talking of different problems). The thing is, once the virtual machine achieves a state of "completion" (ie windows gets to the login promt, or linux gets to the bash prompt - same problem there by the way) the cpu cycles disappear as the virtual machine is not doing any work at all. So perhaps the problem is the same?

Any help would be appreciated...