qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:27:04 -0500

"Jim C. Brown"

Sorry I hadn't got back to you sooner, but I was busy....  Some good news...
Keep reading.

>> So I copied about 6 meg of library files to my qemu test directory.
>
> Strange. I'm not too familiar with the Windows equivulent of
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

MingW's MSYS is a seperate, isolated linux style environment.

My qemu directory is outside of that, in normal Windows XP area.

So it wouldn't know about those libraries unless they all get copied to the
same directory as qemu.

> I did find a GTK Windows tutorial at
> http://wolfpack.twu.net/docs/gtkwin32/,
> but that says to install the dlls to the System folder.

I'm an old windows user.... Any thing that says it's okay to drop random
libraries into the system folder is something that I don't trust!

I'd rather keep them in the qemu directory.  Just like I do with sdl.dll

>> This time it stopped complaining, but after a couple seconds, a Windows
>> box
>> poped up saying an error occured and that it was shutting qemu down.
>>
>> I don't have any further information to give you.  Sorry.

Good news...

Tonight I decided to test my Mingw/MSys environment.  I built the regular
SDL version that I've done several times before.

It too failed.

There's not much telling what is causing it to fail.  Qemu seems rather
sensitive to the slightest change in build environment.

Anyway, the last time I built it succesfully, I make an archive copy of my
whole msys directory.  Which includes the compiler, and everything.

So I went back to it.  Rebuilt qemu just to make sure.  It worked.

I then copied the directory with your gtk version of qemu over to this new
version of msys.

After a few problems getting the gtk stuff reinstalled, I rebuilt your gtk
version.

This time, it's running!  (At least I *assume* it's running.  Everything
looks identical to the sdl version, so I don't really have any way to know
for sure.  In other words, there's a regular Windows title bar with nothing
else.)

I haven't done any real testing of it yet, but I thought you'd at least want
to know that it can be built under Mingw/MSys now.

So far, all I've really done is booted Win 3.11 and Win95.  Opened a few
guest windows.  Moved the qemu window around a bit, and shut them down.