qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Notations about installing WinNT onto PREP hardware

From: Tero Kaarlela
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Notations about installing WinNT onto PREP hardware
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:10:23 -0000

Hi,

I just installed WinNT 3.51 & 4.0 WKS to a PREP machine(Power Series Thinkpad). The first thing I had to do was installing ARC disk image to PREP 0x41 partition on HD. This Arc utility is then used for partitioning HD(Winnt PPC cant do this). And Winnt setup has to be launched from ARC menu too(run external program CD:\PPC\SETUPLDR). After installation ARC is also used to boot osloader.exe from a FAT partition of disk to run WinNT so on my opinion WinNT cannot be booted or installed before this ARC utility works under Qemu. You can Download this ARC image from ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/powerpc/arc151.dd Before booting this image under Qemu one should modify bootinfos.c from OHW to report machine model ie. IBM PPS Model 6050 instead of QEMU PPC. This image booting crashes shortly after going to Little-endian mode with followin: Invalid/unsupported opcode 00 - 10 - 01.

Tero Kaarlela