qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:24:20 -0400

On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 04:19:33PM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> >I'd say it's worth it, if Qemu gains a usable GUI this way. GTK+ libraries
> >are ~3,5MB download, and only need to be installed once.
>
> Putting libraries like this in a common location is always a bad thing.
> That means the files whill have to be distributed with qemu

I disagree. I think distributing the GTK library with qemu (even for windows
versions) is a very bad idea. At most, the qemu installer should just download
and run the GTK installer. At most.

GTK libraries are not part of qemu, they are a separate resource that qemu
depends on.

> And not everybody installs qemu over old versions, so you can't really
> expect the files to already be there from last time.
>

> It just seems fundamentally wrong to have a small emulator with very large
> libraries, just to satisfy some gui bloat.
>
> I do like the idea of a gui...   Really.
>
> I'm just saying that I think 6meg is a bit large for a program that's only
> 780k by itself.

qemu is 3.4M here. So I don't think that is so bad. Especially when that one
set of 6M libs can be shared by many different applications (qemu, xchat, etc).

It is possible to rewrite the GTK code so it is only written in GDK (the only
GTK object we use is the GtkWindow, which I guess could be replaced by a
GdkWindow). GDK looks a lot smaller than GTK over here (4M vs 16M).

> As for the gui... Well, I haven't seen that yet.  What little I see looks
> the same boring Windows window that qemu always runs in.  The gtk version
> isn't usable yet.

The GTK version, on Linux, is perfectly usable. It is no more usable than the
SDL version, but no less.

On Windows, you have no fullscreen support. Everything else should be exactly
the same. If it's not, I'll try to fix it.

A GUI is coming soon. I think.

> It runs, but there are keyboard problems.

What keyboard problems? There shouldn't be any for the GTK version.