qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: Jernej Simončič
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:16:32 +0200

On Wednesday, June 22, 2005, 1:58:14, Jim C. Brown wrote:

>> > GTK libraries are not part of qemu, they are a separate resource that qemu
>> > depends on.
>> As far as the user is concerned, they are part of qemu.
> I must disagree here. If a user already has xchat 2 installed, and that person
> wants to try to use qemu with the GTK interface, they already have the
> libraries
> that they need.

Be careful with Xchat, some versions link to modified static GTK+, and a few
of them install GTK+ to it's own directory.

Problem here is, that there's no standarised installer for GTK+ - Tor only
provides zipfiles, and it's up to the developers how they use these ZIPs.
Hopefully this will change when porting of Evolution to Windows will be
completed.

>> It's a very bad idea to have the installer need to go back on to the net to
>> download something else.
>>
>> The user should get the whole thing at once.

Many installers for Windows GTK+ programs do this, and nobody has a problem
with it. You could also make a ZIP file that includes both installers, and
if the user tries to install Qemu without the GTK+ libraries, the GTK+
installer could be automatically invoked in silent mode (this is what I plan
for the Gimp).

> I think the idea of using C:\Programing Files\Common Files\GTK 2.0 is a good
> solution for that.

It's Common Files\GTK\2.0 actually, since GTK+ 1.3 can also be installed
there.

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Whenever you cut your fingernails, you will find a need for them an hour later.
       -- Witten's Law