qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] quick gtk2.c update
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 14:46:37 -0400

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:56:55AM -0400, Christian Bourque wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> What are your plans regarding QEMU in long term? Do you still want to
> integrate a built-in GUI?
>
> I'm asking because I'm the author of JQEMU and I was wondering if I
> should continue improving the product... I would like to do something
> similar to the HWND patch but for X11 to fully integrate QEMU inside
> JQEMU, but I don't know anything about C/X11 programming...
>
> Regards
>
> Christian

According to Fabrice, the main reason for using GTK for the graphics rendering
is to allow the creation of a GUI using GTK. That is the only good thing GTK
has going for it. (In fact, getting GTK to do the stuff that the SDL layer does
on its own was a real pain. The layer is mostly GDK, and even the "low level
drawing toolkit" didn't have enough support for what qemu needs.)

I have never designed a GUI before (other than toy ones for my own use) and
I have no plans to write my own GUI (because I wouldn't do a very good job).
If someone else has a GUI that they want to integrate with this, or if someone
out there wants to write one on top of my GTK patch, that person will have my
full support as well as any help I can provide.