qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window

From: jeebs
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:37:07 -0500

"Jim C. Brown"

>I personally feel that a scrollable window is not very useful unless your
>host
> resolution is smaller than your guest resolution. Hard to see what the
> point is

Or the same size.  Don't forget, Windows XP will cover up part of the window
even when the GTK version switches to 'full screen'.

And a lot of times, guest resolution will be higher.  Some things just seem
to expect 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (or whatever) resolution.

A scrollable window is just a nice fall back if nothing else is convenient.

Sometimes, full screen is just too darn inconvenient.  Personally, I can't
stand full screen even with VMWare.  I like being able to easily access my
desktop when I want to, be able to read some data and type it into the
guest, and so on.  (Without having to switch screens back and forth)

Not everybody in the world uses a 128x1024 screen.  Or even 1024x768.

Some, such as myself, still use 800x600.  I do it out of necessity.  I have
poor eyesight and don't have the spare cash (or desk space!) for a 21 inch
monitor.  And LCD monitors tend to have too high a native resolution.  With
my current 17" monitor, I simply can't handle anything beyond 800x600.

So, a scrollable window makes using qemu (or vmware) more convenient.

Sure, scaling the window so the guest thinks it's 1024x768 (or whatever)
when it's really much smaller, is probably a better choice.  As would be the
video card providing custom sizes (700x400, or whatever) so XP will think
that's what the display really is, and the actual qemu/vmware window
wouldn't have to be scrolled, scaled or even full screened.

But scroll windows are a good 'if nothing else works' kind of situation for
most people, and useful for some of us.

> Anyways, this is a version of gtk2.c which gives the wanted scrolling
> feature.
> I just started on this so expect ease-of-use bugs. :D Should work on
> windows
> as well, but I have not been able to test this myself yet.

Unfortunately, I can't test it for you on a Windows host.

A bit of a long story, but at the moment, I'm stuck with a single hard drive
and cd burner.  I can't access my second hard drive, which is where qemu and
my test OS images are stored.

Sorry.