qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] scrollable window
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 23:41:56 -0400

On Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 02:06:53PM -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> VmWare seems to let you do it any way you want. Full screen, scroll it
> manually or auto scroll, etc. So clearly it can be done. Maybe the code
> in something like VNC client would give some ideas.

Scrolling manually works, just a few kinks to iron out.

Fullscreen support is currently broken, but it is fixable. Just haven't gotten
around to it yet.

Autoscrolling is harder. VMware uses guest drivers, and using a custom guest
mosue driver would certainly help. This is doable if the guest OS does not do
mouse acceleration (because then the host and guest pointers dont get out of
sync - if the host pointer is at the edge of the window, the guest must be as
well). This option is a bit of work though...

> Scaling an image *down* to fit in window of a given size seems totally
> pointless other than to give a thumbnails of multiple vm's for
> navigation between VMs. For that matter I can't imagine trying to work
> with a machine w/in a machine at 800x600 for the host. Better to go to a
> higher resolution and then you could consider scaling a vm display *up*
> to some given size. Just increase your font size on the host. There's no
> such thing as too high a resolution, just fonts that are too small
> and/or broken applications or windowing systems that don't let you
> adjust the font size.

Scaling an image up on the other hand, may be quite useful. I am not sure how
to do either (up or down) but if scaling up is possible, it seems only natural
to add the ability to scale down (even if its not recommended due to hard to
see fonts and etc).