qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] vnc keyboard problem

From: Hal Finkel
Subject: [Qemu-devel] vnc keyboard problem
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:09:22 -0400

Hello,

I am having a problem using qemu in combination with a vnc server on
linux. Using qemu with the (physical) desktop X display works fine. When
using the vnc server, however, something is wrong with the process of
translating keyboard events. I can type commands just fine into the
gnome terminal program (and thus in the qemu monitor when I provide the
-monitor stdio option), however keys are translated incorrectly when
passed to the emulated system. For instance, Alt maps to 5, Return to
Space, 5 to Backspace, s to b, etc. Additionally, this is true even if I
use the xvkbd program (running on the same system as qemu) to generate
the keysym events.

Linux kernel is Ubuntu package 2.6.12-3-686
vnc server is Ubuntu package tightvncserver 1.2.9-5
sdl library is Ubuntu package 1.2.7+1.2.8cvs2004100
qemu, built from source, either version 0.7.0 or cvs snapshot from
2005-07-13

If anyone could provide me with a hint as to what is going on (or how to
effectively debug the problem), I would appreciate it.
Thanks again,
Hal Finkel