qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port

From: René Korthaus
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] news on the OS X cocoa port
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:44:59 +0200

Am 22.07.2005 um 09:51 schrieb Mike Kronenberg:

Jim C. Brown wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 04:00:12PM +0200, Ren? Korthaus wrote:

That is what I was also thinking about for some time, but first we  should then agree on an universal way of saving configurations (this  was already been touched by the list some time ago, couldnt find the  mails by now). As I am pretty much satisfied with saving the data in  an xml file, I would suggest this way, but we shouldnt only focus on  Mac OS X part, but also on other platforms.

I have a shell script that provides config file support for qemu called vqemu.
Basicly the format is a simple "option=value", the shell script sources the
config file in and then passes certain command line options to qemu based on
the options given.

The script should be easy to modify to use on OS X. To make it more portable
(e.g. usable on Windows), converting it to C is not terribly difficult.

Right now I'm using .plist(property lists), which is very common in OS X, because you can read them back directly in to an Array or a Dictionaty. It's a standardized XML File.
I'm a big fan of XML, but I'm also very much Intrested in having a compatible package over all platforms.
I see advantage in XML, because it's a lot more flexible and accurat in storing your Data - well it was defined exactly for that pourpose :)

Fully agree.

My packages look like this:
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/configuration.plist
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/hda.img
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/saved.vm
~/Documents/QEMU/Freedos.qemu/thumbnail.png
or:
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/configuration.plist
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/hda.img
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/saved.vm
~/Documents/QEMU/ReactOS 15412.qemu/thumbnail.png

What about .qvm instead of .qemu ?

They can nicely be ziped.

A sample configuration .plist:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
   <dict>
       <key>-boot</key>
       <string>1</string>
       <key>-cdrom</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>-fda</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>-hda</key>
       <string>/Users/mike/Documents/qemu/images/2gb_win2k.img</string>
       <key>-m</key>
       <string>128</string>
       <key>cpu</key>
       <string>0</string>
       <key>custom</key>
       <string></string>
       <key>name</key>
       <string>win2ksp4</string>
       <key>status</key>
       <string>shutdown</string>
   </dict>
</plist>

I assume <key>cpu</key> is the system the image is designed for, f.e. x86? What about some additional keys like author, date of creation, email if someone f.e. downloaded the image from the web and has problems getting it to run?!

Hey, FreeOSZoo'ers, what do you think would be also nice to save in the xml regarding distribution on your platform?
According to your site:

ToDO List:
[...]
  1. Create a FreeOSZoo hotdelivery XML format, gathering all information needed to download and install FreeOSZoo images. We hope that the FreeOSZoo hotdelivery XML format will allow the next generation of QEMU GUIs to connect to a distribution site and download the needed files automatically. We plan the XML file to deliver the following information:
    • Available mirrors for download
    • Bittorent trackers
    • Host operating systems requirements
    • Guest operating systems requirements
    • List of free software bundled
    • Upgrading facilities over the Internet
    • Targeted audience (home use, ...)
    • Links to a gallery of screenshots
    • Links to tutorials and help systems
    • Links to live video presentations

I'm also looking into writing a converter for vpc packages, which are very similar :)

Very nice! Looking forward to it.

Mike