qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone familiar with the slirp code?

From: Paul LeoNerd Evans
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Anyone familiar with the slirp code?
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:14:55 +0100

On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 09:47:13AM -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> I don't think the original author anticipated or cared about slirp being
> ported to a 64-bit processor. I won't speak for the quality of the code
> in general, but on a 32-bit machine the pointer size is 32-bit. It's
> perfectly safe on that platform to use any 32-bit spot as a hidey hole
> for your cookies.

Well put.. :)

> Just go for it. The slirp code was imported into qemu. At this point
> you're probably as much an expert as anyone. There is no upstream
> maintainer for the code either, I looked and found and asked the last
> sucker that had maintained it for a bit, and he just wanted to unload
> it.

Well, in this case, it is almost worth pondering if a complete
from-the-top rewrite is required... It might be easiest to look at what
the code is meant to do, from a high level, and re-implement from
scratch. This way, all the required features can be put in from the
beginning, no extra stuff that's not required, and so on... I expect
large amounts of the code can be kept and modified, and the general
layout will remain, but a lot of the data structures will have to
go...

> If you fix it though, be prepared for the fact that you will be the new
> expert ;-)

Hhhmmmm.... I have numerous projects I'm already working on; adding one
more always gets tricky... But we'll see how things pan out...

> One thing I'd like to see long term is to completely remove the NAT code
> and replace it with something more modern and robust like netfilter.
> That would give us a lot of nice application level gateways (nat
> modules) for important protocols, and some tweakable firewall settings
> for user-net.
>
> While I'm wishing, in fact it would be a nice feature in general for
> QEMU to have a built in firewall pointed at each host with fairly
> minimal permissions by default. A windows machine on your network is a
> windows machine on your network, virtual or not :-)

Well, as I said above, this sort of thing could be implemented with a
re-write....

Perhaps we could borrow some of the "iptables" code from the Linux
kernel, and use that..? It would be quite cool, I think, to have
something similar to iptables built into qemu...

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

address@hidden
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/