qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Targetting a specific processor type

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Targetting a specific processor type
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:23:54 +0200

Mike Swanson wrote:
I have a need currently to emulate specifically an 80486 processor,
nothing lower or higher than that.

Is it possible to configure QEMU in any way to simply emulate a 486,
or compile it like that?

It is currently not possible, but adding it would be possible: the first step is to modify the cpu init in target-i386/helper2.c to disable most of the cpuid bits. The second step is to modify target-i386/translate.c to test every cpuid bit (it is not done for all instructions: I did it mostly for MMX/SSE).

Fabrice.