qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Problem with CPU recognition

From: Sergey Kuzmin
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Problem with CPU recognition
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:47:37 +0400

Hi! I tested MenuetOS in Qemu and it works!
Suggestion: downloading 5 MB is heavy for people with dial-up(about 90% of all internet visitors). So probably idea of bundling Qemu with smaller OS then Linux one is more appreciated by those people. Zipped MenuetOS is smaller then 1 MB, so developers can build package with size about 1.8 MB or even smaller. Question that I have is: I run my program CPUID in emulated MenuetOS and got CPU signature (family, model, stepping) = 633. So it is a Intel Pentium II codenamed Klamath with L2 cache = 128 KB. But my program shows that is surprisely have SSE2 support (?), and some problem with L1 data cache - unrecognized signature of its size, though my program support all cache signatures from Intel docs.

Can you give me information about CPU which is emulated by Qemu? Maybe piece of code which contain reaction to CPUID request?

Screenshot with running MenuetOS (and CPUID inside it) is here
http://coolthemes.narod.ru/files/cpuproblem.jpg

Good luck!