qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] patch: allow defining MAC address etc

From: jamal
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] patch: allow defining MAC address etc
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:46:46 -0400

On Sun, 2005-21-08 at 03:22 +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> On Sunday 21 August 2005 02:56, jamal wrote:

> > i could do this; macaddr is already being used to imply the start
> > macaddr. Does macaddrs sound better?
>
> Part of the reason I suggested this was because it is an extension of the
> existing option. A user can either specifies a single address and have qemu
> assign sequential addresses (the current behaviour), or they can specify a
> list of addresses, one for each NIC.

it may be easier parsing to avoid having optional fields. Is there any
other parameter that has optional fields?

> Your script should be able to get all the information it needs from the MAC
> address. You can either hardcode addresses or do pattern matching.
> The guest MAC address is arbitrary, so you can choose whatever numbering is
> convenient.  For example you could use the last digit of the address to
> encode your ID field.

The only problem is that would tie the two things (MAC + ID) together.
i.e it would not be possible to just pass the ids without specifying
macs. Note the Ids syntax would also be comma separated.

cheers,
jamal