qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Windows XP security problem tests

From: Balint Reczey
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Windows XP security problem tests
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:30:20 +0100 (BST)

Hi!

I've tried qemu yesterday by a Windows XP (no SP-s)
installation and found that the security problem does
not appear when using kqemu, but appears without it.

System: Debian Sarge

Qemu: 7.0
(http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/qemu)
      built from source and diff found on cited page
kqemu: current version, downloaded from qemu homepage

kernel: 2.6.11 with skas patch (I don't think, taht
mekes the difference)

Test:
1. kqemu + ~raw image
(kqemu loaded)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/hda2G.img bs=4k count=512k
qemu -boot d -cdrom /dev/cdrom hda2G.img
qemu hda2G.img

It worked like a charm with several reboots.

2. ~raw image
(kqemu not loaded)
qemu hda2G.img

Security problem appeared every time i tried to boot
(about 3 times).

The same happened when using qcow format after
converting the image:
qemu-img convert hda2G.img -O qcow hda2G.qcow.img

I hope this information can help you fixing qemu and
it  becomes even better. :-)

Cheers:
Balint

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com