qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Q: SPARC Solaris as guest operating system with qemu?

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Q: SPARC Solaris as guest operating system with qemu?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 21:11:59 +0200

why isn't it possible to use some Sun-provided flash PROM-Update binary for SS5 or so?

Now that would be interesting. Running it could reveal some bugs in Qemu's HW implementation and especially where we have made some bogus shortcuts. For example, the boot sequence is not what a real Prom expects, execution starts from 0xffd00000 instead of zero (reset vector). I guess in the real HW, after reset the prom occupies all of the address space, and one of the first things it does is to enable RAM. Or prom lives near zero forever and RAM banks are higher.

Other issues: NVRAM contents are Qemu-specific. Undocumented or secret I/O registers are not implemented. Maybe speed differences, bugs, unimplemented stuff.

Ok, OBP sources are closed, but isn't OpenSolaris.org of any help?
(I know, no support for any old 32bit platforms anymore, however.)

Probably not for exactly that reason.

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/