qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] About qemu emulation speed (a question) and supported O

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] About qemu emulation speed (a question) and supported OS
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 23:27:39 -0500

Mark Williamson wrote:

No, I got the impression that Fabrice was taking about virtualization the
way VMware, old plex86, and vmbear (new FOSS x86 virtualizer in the
works) do it.
The x86 cannot be "virtualized" in the Popek/Goldberg sense, so there's
a couple of fast emulation techniques that are possible.  Other than a
hand coded dynamic translator, I reckon qemu + kqemu is about as good as
it can get (unless I'm missing something here).  Do you have

Well, VMware does manage direct execution of some kernel code, I believe. VMware's real super-cunningness is doing this as much as they can, instead of emulating all the stuff. That said, I think with suitable optimisations emulating all the kernel code could be acceptable.

The unfortunate thing is that the guest can still tell it's in a VMware machine (I'm not clear how) so it's not really *full* virtualisation, it's just about epsilon away from it :-) VT / SVM will solve this properly.
I reckon kqemu has this same problem... Technically, even in ring 3, if you run natively, you violate the Popek/Goldberg requirements because of cpuid. It's just not possible to trap it but it shouldn't matter for most software.

They have a (crazy but cool) idea that they'll one day be able to live-migrate (i.e. without more than a few hundred ms downtime) virtual machines between L4 hypervisors and Xen hypervisors.
Yeah, how cool is that :-)

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Cheers,
Mark

FWIW, Xen is already using QEMU in this way.  It would be very neat to
see this technique applied to a Type II VMM.
Do you have any details on this?
Mark did a really good job of summarizing the current architecture.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Regards,

Anthony Liguori