qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] [PPC] where can I upload a img of a working prep linuxppc2K

From: djame
Subject: [Qemu-devel] [PPC] where can I upload a img of a working prep linuxppc2K ?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 02:29:47 +0200

Hello,
I've just managed to get from an old powerbook its linuxppc 2K installation (because none of the recent distribution I've tried wanted to install with qemu (mandrake, gentoo, debian and even yellow dog))...
I put it  on a PREP partition sheme and it's working.........

what works :
everything but localtime option(don't know why it doesn't work), X11 (by lack of configuration of fbdev I guess)
it works with the PREP kernel provided on freezos
what is weird :
I've created the partitions on a image using the e2fs utils and qemu-create... my mdk 9.2's e2fsck does not see any error on it but the (old) version of linuxppc see something wrong between the physical size and the logical one (I guess it has something to do with the space reserved for the ext3 journal or something) so I had to link fsck and e2fsck to /bin/true (because no matter what i tried (hda=nowerr at boot time and stuff)) fsck was always complaining... the real one are suffixed by old....

what is sad :
I'm using and old PIII 900 mhz with 512 meg of ram and I don't know why but everything seems to be really slow (especially the compilation of some progs), screen redraw and directory printing for example are fast (really) but everything related to disk operation is slow (the loading of progs, for example) I would like to try to make the img available through a ramdisk but I don't have enough ram for that...

what I didn't try :
networking (no time yet)

TODO
I want to make X work (but it's really an old version)
I want to make some benchmarking using the Nbyte benchmarking (one from my powerbook 3400 (ppc 603e, 180mhz), one from qemu)

thanks for reading it

Djamé

ps : if someone is willing to give me a ftp access I'll be glade to upload the resulting img.....