qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 17:09:27 -0400

On Sat, Oct 01, 2005 at 10:24:03PM +0200, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
> >And qemu already supports that, via the -tun-fd option.
>
> Can you please give me an exemple how to use the -tun-fd option to open
> an existing tun (i.e: tun-alice) ? This option only work for already
> opened tap/tun interface as I understand.

I see what you mean now. qemu itself has no direct support for persistent tuntap
devices.

However, I imagine that one could modify tundev.c or tapdev.c to open a
persistent
tuntap device (by name) and then pass the fd to qemu via -tun-fd. It would be
better if qemu had direct support for them of course.