qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] about DHCP server in qemu

From: octane indice
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] about DHCP server in qemu
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:55:58 +0200

En réponse à "Jim C. Brown" <address@hidden> :
> > Nearly? Oh come on... you know it ain't possible, period.
>
> What are you refering to? The ability of a single qemu to ping
> thru slirp,
> or the ability of multiple qemus to ping each other using
> their guest ips?
>
> The former can be done, as explained below, but it is probably
> more trouble
> than its worth. The latter can not be done at all *IF* the
> guests have to
> communicate thru the slirp layer. However, if the slirp layer
> is just used to
> talk to the host and the LAN/internet and you have something
> else that deals
> with guest-to-guest, then this can be done. slirpvde comes to
> mind here.
>
> > Ping (ICMP) operates at the IP level. An unprivileged
> > socket, which is
> > what user-net (slirp) uses can only send/receive packets at
> > the ported
> > protocols level, which means UDP or TCP.
>
> Actually, it is really easy to add ping support to qemu using
> sockets. The only
> issue here is privilege. (You need to be root in order to be
> able to use an
> ICMP socket.)
>
> An alternative would be to use "/sbin/ping -c 1" and parse its
> output in order
> to simulate an actual ICMP connection. This is considerably
> harder, but definitely possible.

And what about a full IP connection beetween hosts? In order to
simulate a real network to do nfs/smtp/http/smb and so on?

I was thinking of a sort of a net-server which handles the DHCP
process, the connection for going outside (masquerade+DNS+SMB)
and the connection beetween hosts.

Etes vous un consom'Acteur ? Toutes les saveurs équitables sont sur
http://www.epicerie-equitable.com