qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking: patch for existing tun

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] tun/tap networking: patch for existing tun
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:34:02 -0400

On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 10:23:26AM +0200, Matteo wrote:
> That would be a very good idea. I've always thought of installing vde or
> any other application to make a network of VMs painfull.

Well, i find that a qemu_switch would be more convient as you could set up
the network at boot time (like i do with vde now).

> Moreover you
> then need to configure each host, write scripts...

There is only one host. And if u don't use tuntap, then no host configuration
is required (remember slirpvde?).

Guests have to be configured anyways (tho slirpvde includes a dhcp server).

> The integration to
> the existing user net would be great for most of the cases. Non trivial
> ones will maybe need the fine tuning tun/tap devices allow, but I think
> most users want simplicity

VDE provides this already. Of course, a user-net based solution for qemu guest
networks could do a few things that slirpvde can't (like -redir support). It is
definitely worth trying for.

For the most part tho, it's just duplicating functionality that we already have.