qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] harddrives and QEMU

From: Brett Henley
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] harddrives and QEMU
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:15:09 -0500

Jim C. Brown wrote:

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 01:22:33PM -0500, Brett (Mare) Henley wrote:
The Longer one goes into greater detail. WaxDragon's first suggestion was to use -hdachs to define the drive for the bios. I had to read up well to do this but entered 65383,16,63 as my definition and still ended up with exactly the same behavior.

-hdachs doesn't make a difference, unless the OS reads the size of the
hard disk from the bios.

If it gets its size from the MBR or partition table, it won't help at all.

There is probably a way to force freebsd into using a certain size or c/h/s
value for the hard disk. I recommend trying this to see if its just the bad
disk size thats causing problems.

Alright, but here's the rub. If a drive can be booted by a machine. Why can't it boot from Qemu if it's accessing the raw disk via the windows interface? This needs no messing with bios or disksize to boot of a regular machine.