qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + DOSEMU

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + DOSEMU
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 15:20:41 -0400

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 11:25:22AM -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> You would install DosEmu into QEMU into Linux or Windows.
> But don't do that, since it makes no sense:

Actually, it makes perfect sense if one is talking about user mode qemu
(though that only works on Linux).

> So, based on the OS you regularly run, decide on a machine emulator.
> Then decide what version of DOS you want to install in that machine
> emulator. You only need one selection from each category. Note that this
> means you normally would not run DOSEmu under QEMU, since you would be
> emulating the machine twice which is unnecessary and inefficient.
>
> -- John.

Well, if he wants to run a DOS program on a non-x86 Linux system (like a PPC
Linux) then DOSEmu on qemu-i386 is a good choice. One of the goals of the
original
qemu (before full system emulation) was to be able to run Wine and DOSEmu on
non-x86 Linux systems.

And for the record, DOSEmu does not emulate an x86 machine so its not that
inefficent (tho running DOSEmu in Linux in QEMU is definitely redundant).

> Host OS: Host operating system on which to run x86 machine emulator
> (pick ONE)
> Windows
> DOS

I think you meant to type *nix or Linux here, not DOS. Running DOS on top of
DOS is obviously redundant.

Incidently, I don't know of any x86 emulator that runs on DOS.

> x86 Machine emulators
> (pick ONE compatible with Host OS choice)
> ---------------------
<snip>

Just want to point out here that DOSBox is not a x86 Machine emulator. It
is a DOS emulator, so it emulates that OS. (DOSBox does emulate parts of an x86
but not the whole thing).

DOSEmu is the fastest because it virtualizes the OS instead of emulating it;
but it is designed only to virtualize 16bit real mode DOS.

MESS might work but it seems to emulate only older microcomputers.

> DOS
> (Many alternative DOSes to pick from... pick ONE)
> MS-DOS is the DOS operating system

Well, there was DR-DOS and PC-DOS. MS-DOS just happened to end up as the most
popular version. (There were other DOSes in fact, such as Apple DOS, though
they date from the time of the original 8080 and ran on incompatible cpus.)

> FreeDOS is a Free re-implementation of the DOS operating system

There's also the FOSS Caldera DOS, which is not a re-implementation but rather
a derivative of DR-DOS.