qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Current state of GCC 4 (non-)"support" on x86-64 ?

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: Current state of GCC 4 (non-)"support" on x86-64 ?
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:55:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 9 Oct 2005, Michel Pelletier wrote:

> A copule others on this thread mentioned that you can compile the kqemu
> module with gcc 4 and the rest of qemu with gcc 3.x.  Did this work for
> you?  Did it create a performance boost?

I don't think you'd gain much since most of the time is spent in generated
code and synthetic opcodes are similarly generated from gcc3.4 and gcc4.

Paul Brook posted an on-going effort to replace dyngen with a hand-written
code generator that doesn't depend on specific compiler behavior.

BTW, qemu also builds on x86_64 with gcc4 and some patches he posted
earlier too.