qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VMWare player

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VMWare player
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:37:30 -0700

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 13:22 -0700, Mike Swanson wrote:
> Yeah, it barely on topic. But the .vmx files are extremely simple text
> files, and qemu-img creates vmdk disk images.

That was my first thought when I saw this as well.

>  Yes, it's possible to
> install operating systems solely withing VMware (this is the correct
> spelling, btw) Player, but you cannot install VMware Tools, even with
> the appropriate (windows|linux|freebsd|netware).iso file.

I figured as much. I understand some of what VMware tools has in it. Is
it necessary? QEMU is quite usable without special guest-side utilities.

Or perhaps the issue is that VMWare player will not run anything that
does not have VMware tools installed?

-- John.