qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Problems with Qemu 0.7.2

From: Jim C. Brown
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Problems with Qemu 0.7.2
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:40:24 -0400

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 04:05:08PM -0500, James Lancaster wrote:
> (With or without kqemu)
>
> 1) When switching from qemu, it doesn't like letting go of the mouse. If you
> don't have it grabbed, and click on another window, it will grab the mouse
> again, and the title bar will cycle through "Qemu" and "Qemu - Press ctrl-alt
> to exit grab. If you use the keyboard to move the focus, it acts as it should
> (in other words, no qemu grabbing).

This doesn't suprise me. I hacked the source code so qemu doesn't grab the
mouse, and just disable mouse acceleration in the guest. It works beautifully
for me.

The reason this isn't default is because it is a pain to turn off acceleration
in most guests, and in a few it can't be turned off at all. No one has
found a way around this.

> (Oh yeah, people on this list might want to look at Transgaming's software
> directx8/9 renderer if they want 3d (swiftshader, formerly swshader, webpage:
> http://www.transgaming.com/swiftshader.php), with kqemu, as now cpu is cheap,
> graphics aren't. (Unfortunately, as one can see from the screenshots in 3,
> there are problems))

Someone is working on a custom OpenGL library for qemu guests, which will pass
GL calls to the host (so if the host supports 3d, the guest can take advantage
of it). There is also talk about using the Wine code to create a DirectX library
for Windows guests, though I think its foolish for Fabrice to require this
before accepting any patches for OpenGL.

I doubt that swiftshader will make it into qemu (after all it has to be
commercially licensed).