qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player

From: John R. Hogerhuis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:46:18 -0700

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 12:48 +0200, Stefano Marinelli wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 12:29:45 -0700, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> > Barely on-topic, but since VmWare interop crops up from time to time:
> >
> > http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
>
> I don't like it. It's just a "player" and the images can't be written.

use qemu-img to create the disk image.

> This means you can run an image but anything you write on it will be
> deleted after you close it. I prefer the QEMU -snapshot :-)

Yes, that would be mostly useless. But I didn't get the impression that
everything you write will disappear when you close VMware Player.

Their comparison chart says they don't support snapshots, but that's a
different issue.

I would try it out but I understand that Player would overwrite my
VMware installation.

-- John.