qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] User-space emulation on Mac OS X to run Mac OS XIntel a

From: Vesselin Peev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] User-space emulation on Mac OS X to run Mac OS XIntel applications
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:37:18 +0300

Hello,

Such a QEMU capability would be quite useful once the Intel Macs start becoming widespread. While you could make a Universal Binary without changees, it is likely that the average app would experience various issues, some of them very subtle, when executed on Intel, because the latter is a little-endian architecture as opposed to the big-endian one (PowerPC) of today. Today, most applications are written for a single endian type. Few apps can handle more than a single endian type. It is a considerable hassle and requires double the testing to support 2 endian types (I am not saying it is generally not good to be done, though!). That won't change with the introduction of Intel Macs. In other words, the Mac world would start switching en masse from big endian (PowerPC) to little endian (Intel x86) in their programs. After a relatively short transitory period (2-3 years, I think), most Mac apps, and especially entirely new ones, would be developed only for Intel. QEMU could very well be the answer to bringing those apps to the older Macs.

Steve Jobs and his marketing machine is the culprit for the disinformation. On stage during the Apple WWDC, he demonstrated that all it takes to produce two working Intel and PPC binaries is to enable two checkboxes, never mentioning the subtle endianness issues. The audience applauded...

-Vesko

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steven" <address@hidden>