qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] several guests with static ip-address

From: Michael Kapp
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] several guests with static ip-address
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:04:47 +0200 (MEST)

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2005, Michael wrote:
>
> > is it possible, that several (for example two) guests communicate to one
> > qemu host, which has only one network interface and every os has it's
> > own static ip-address?
>
> Yes, with TUN networking this works fine. Have used this in
>
>    - bridged including the host interface, giving each QEMU a static ip on
> the LAN.
>
>    - non-bridged, routing via the host, with masquerade firewall rules on
> the host to allow traffic to the LAN. Each qemu in a separate network to
> simplify the host side.
>
>    - vde, routing via the host, with masquerade firewall rules on the host
> for allowing traffic to the LAN. All the qemu instances in the same
> network (but different host addresses).
>
>    - bridged, not including the host interface. Same as vde.
>
> All this is with only one network interface on the host.
>
> Note: when using tun, each qemu instance gets it's own virtual tun/tap
> interface on the host.
>
> Note2: The vde based setup is generally the simplest to get correct.

---

OK, can you give me some hints how to do that?

I've tested it with a tun/bridged setup, but it only work with one guest,
here is my configuration for the qemu-ifup script:

--

ifconfig eth0 down
brctl addbr br0

ifconfig tun1 0.0.0.0 promisc up

ifconfig br0 192.168.1.3 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up
brctl stp br0 off
brctl setfd br0 1
brctl sethello br0 1
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 tun1
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

--

...this works so far. But how can i get another guest into this subnet?

Regards,
Michael