qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] several guests with static ip-address

From: Michael Kapp
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] several guests with static ip-address
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:31:30 +0200 (MEST)

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, Michael Kapp wrote:
>
> > OK, can you give me some hints how to do that?
> >
> > I've tested it with a tun/bridged setup, but it only work with one
> guest,
> > here is my configuration for the qemu-ifup script:
>
> Each qemu gets it's own tun device, and you need to make sure your script
> gets this proper...
>
> I've never used any qemu-ifup scripts. Very much prefer using static tun
> interfaces, and when I forget I usually set up the host configuration
> manually as root while qemu is running..
>
> > ...this works so far. But how can i get another guest into this subnet?
>
> It's just about adding his tun device to the same bridge, and giving it
> "link up"..

----

OK, this is the solution for the qemu-ifup scripts (or do it with static
interfaces):

guest1:

brctl addbr br0

ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig tun1 0.0.0.0 promisc up
ifconfig br0 192.168.1.98 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255 up

brctl stp br0 off
brctl setfd br0 1
brctl sethello br0 1
brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 tun1
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

--

guest2 (will be started after guest1 is up):

ifconfig tun2 0.0.0.0 promisc up

brctl addif br0 tun2

...and so on, for other guests...
----

That the two guests can communicate with each other, it is neccassary to
bring up the guests with a unique mac-address.

Thanks!

Regards
Michael