qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Audio cd's in guest OS

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Audio cd's in guest OS
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 12:55:41 +0100

Lars Roland wrote:
On 11/4/05, Mike Swanson <address@hidden> wrote:

I've found on systems where traditional rippers don't work (eg,
cdparanoia), CDFS has a greater chance of ripping the CDs (by default
into WAV, but you can enable an option to rip it in the pure CDDA
format if you want).

Thanks - I should have known that someone had made a file system for
this. However I still think it would be great to be able to pass the
actual /dev/cdrom on to the guest OS, but I must admit that I have not
grasped the complexity yet on doing this, so I am going to do some
Qemu code reading before continuing - I am not even sure if it can be
done in VMWare although I  seam to remember that Windows as a host OS
running VMWare allows the guest access to a audio cdrom.

QEMU does not currently support reading raw CD tracks, but it is definitely possible to add it (along with play audio features and even CD recording).

Note that there is already an emulation for reading raw CD tracks because it is needed to boot Darwin on CDROM, but it only works on the data tracks of the CDROM.

Fabrice.