qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/KQEMU for server consolidation?

From: Leigh Dyer
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU/KQEMU for server consolidation?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 09:59:58 +1100

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Leigh Dyer wrote:

Has anyone tried something like this before? QEMU will be running on a server, so I figured that the VNC X server would be a good option for the GUI, but if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it.

You could also run VNC or RDP on the Windows server guest installation. Doesn't give you remote access to the early boot sequence but has slightly less overhead.

Yep, I was thinking about running RDP in the guest for day-to-day stuff (we do that now for our real Win2k server. The QEMU GUI has to go somewhere though, and short of installing the VNC patch, the easiest option looks like running a virtual X server like the VNC one. QEMU can connect to that and the display goes nowhere, until of course someone connects via VNC.

I've started on this, with a Win2k server install and SQL 7 running on my desktop seemingly quite well. After some more testing (loading up some databases, testing apps running under Linux connecting to it through the virtual NIC) I'll start looking at running it on our test SMP server with the VNC X server. If people are curious, I'll be happy to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks
Leigh

Regards
Henrik