qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player

From: John Wells
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Re: VMWare player
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 21:14:38 -0500 (EST)

John R. Hogerhuis said:
> I understood. I just don't believe it; I didn't get the impression
Stefano was saying that he had actually tried it. AFAIK, VMware Player
writes changes to the hard disk image.

I was able to successfully take my qemu installation of Windows XP,
convert it with qemu-img to a vmdk file, and then boot it up in VMWare
player (and yes, I own the full version of VMWare as well on another
machine, so I'm not worried about the legality if there are any concerns).

I was also able to create a vmdk image from scratch using qemu-img and
install OpenBSD in it.

As I've only owned the full version for about two weeks, I haven't
researched what VMWare tools adds to the picture, but I know resolution
hasn't been a problem with VMWare Player, at least on the XP image.

Performance does seem a bit better than qemu, but I done anything to
quantify this. I'm running on the latest version of Ubuntu.

John