qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Horrid hang: KQEMU and Windows XP SP2 + full patchset up to

From: André Braga
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Horrid hang: KQEMU and Windows XP SP2 + full patchset up to October (host and guest)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:41:29 -0200

I'm using a somewhat patched (meaning: UDMA + nonblocking IO) current
CVS QEMU, so I think I'd best ask this on the list to see if anyone
can reproduce this, so I can narrow the problem down to my particular
setup.

When I run English Windows XP SP2 + October patchset (as per
AutoPatcher v. Oct2005) on both host and guest, and have KQEMU
enabled, double-clicking the deskbar clock to bring up the Date and
Time preferences dialog, QEMU hangs in a horrid manner... It won't be
killed under any circumnstance. The QEMU windows just freezes and the
process takes up 100% CPU. Thankfully, no BSOD occurs.

I tried the killing it via regular Taskman, SysInternal's Process
Explorer, and even a Delphi hack a friend of mine wrote a couple years
ago which simply closes all the handles in a process and kills (er,
attempts to) it. Apart from not being killed, the system won't change
the process' priority if I ask it to. And yes, the user I'm running as
has administrator privileges.

The funny thing is that apart from this weirdness, the rest of the
system seems to behave correctly... When running QEMU with KQEMU
enabled, that is. If I disable KQEMU, everythings behave normally.

Can someone please try to reproduce this? Beware, Windows might be
unable to shut itself down and a hard-reset might be needed. And any
debugging hints are appreciated.

QEMU was built via the mingw32 package found on Debian sid, plus
freshly latest binutils release built from sources for win32.

Thanks!