qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GTK GUI for QEmu
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:39:01 -0600

Jim C. Brown wrote:

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 12:55:12PM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Probably. I was hoping to punt on the issue of Win32 and instead rely on a native Win32 GUI. I'm not sure GTK on Win32 is going to be that great from a performance perspective.

I haven't tried to benchmark that case. The bigger issue with GTK on W32 was
the need for a 3rd party library (too large, too hard to install, etc etc).
There's a significant performance difference between using XShmImage's and client-side images. Obviously, XShmImage's are only available on X11. There are better ways to do it on Windows.
I wouldn't rely on the hope of a native W32 gui showing up anytime soon though.
Yours is the third attempt to bring a native GTK gui to qemu - AFAIK we have
yet to see the first attempt for a W32 gui.
I have no problem writing a Win32 GUI if it's needed to get a good GTK GUI. This is the primary reason I didn't attempt to handle VM creation in the GUI. Better to start at something simple and improve incrementally.

FWIW, I'm going to benchmark the my latest optimizations for fullscreen mode and post the results later today. If scaling can be done with little performance impact, I think it's clearly the right thing to do.

I don't necessarily see a problem with adding support for changing the X server
resolution. However, it is probably harder to do right - it is really difficult
to center the viewport on just the window you want and nothing else. I can't
really think of any advantages in making the host handle this.
Well, I remembered why I didn't like this earlier. If you change the resolution, the autohiding toolbar is going to appear much larger than it should. This is going to be an accessibility nightmare.

On a CPU-bound workload, using a very microbenchmark, the overhead of the current scaling is about 10%. That's actually better than I expected. I'm confident it could be brought down to about 5%. Again, this is for a CPU bound workload. If you're using kqemu and you're not at 100% CPU utilization you wouldn't notice the difference.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori