qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Booting a partition image (not a disk image)?

From: Richard Neill
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Booting a partition image (not a disk image)?
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:31:45 +0000

Dear All,

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere. I have copied across the windows ME partition from an old machine, using
 dd if=/dev/hda2 | ssh address@hidden "cat > hda2.img"
This has worked, and I can mount the filesystem fine.

Is there any way I can boot this image using QEMU? i.e. there is no boot sector, and I've not copied the rest of the drive to save space.

The obvious solution doesn't work:
 qemu -boot c -snapshot -hda hda2.img

Thanks very much,

Richard

--
address@hidden  **  http://www.richardneill.org
Richard Neill, Trinity College, Cambridge, CB21TQ, U.K.