qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-test image for user-net?

From: Jamie Lokier
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-test image for user-net?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:49:12 +0000

Paul Brook wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 20:36, Stealth Dave wrote:
> > Is it possible to build a linux-test image that enables network access
> > via user-net instead of tun/tap?
>
> The guest OS doesn't care whether qemu is using user-net or tun-tap.
> The linux-test image downloadable from the qemu website doesn't work
> properly because it only contains the ISA ne2k driver, and qemu now
> emulates a PCI ne2k card.

Perhaps qemu's PCI ne2k emulation could be changed to accept accesses
to the I/O addresses of the classic ISA card too - and disabling the
PCI addresses if an OS touches the ISA ones?  Old OSes which only know
about ISA ne2k would work, and newer ones which enumerate it through
PCI would also work.

-- Jamie