qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cell processor

From: Lars Roland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cell processor
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 14:26:29 +0100

On 11/16/05, Lars Roland <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Dave Feustel <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Is there any chance that simulation of the
> > IBM Cell processor will be added to Qemu?
>
> Although this would be great, I am not sure how easy it is to get a
> accurate simulation of this chip. The cell architecture consists of
> both a power processor element (PPE) and 8 synergistic processor
> elements (SPEs) while the PPE is a conventional microprocessor the
> SPEs are far from so
>
> The point of the cell is to get the PPE to prepare tasks that can be
> executed in a parallel distributed manner across all the SPEs and I am
> afraid that this scheduling is going to be very hard to implement
> correctly - I may however be proven wrong.

Well I must have come out of loop because it seams that there already
is some simulation software available -
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8620812400.html - not sure how much
of the CELL it actually simulates - the SPEs are after all not needed
to boot an OS, so it may just be the PPE which qemu also may have a
better shot at emulating.